Terms for Councils is a controlled vocabulary that can be used across councils as a standard way of referring to functions, activities and services / actions.
This controlled vocabulary makes it easier to access and share information regardless of the fact that various council teams and business units use different language and systems to create and manage their information.
Each function / activity and service / action has a unique number to assist with mapping terms used by individual councils to the Terms for Councils controlled vocabulary.
Services / action terms are terms for:
- the services that a council provides to or on behalf of those who live, work or pass through the area for which the Council is responsible
- the actions the council performs to manage itself in order to provide services.
Function and activities terms are high level headings for functions and activities that a council performs.
The terms gather similar activities into logical groupings that should be globally understood and that transcend organisational structure.
ALGIM acknowledges the esd-toolkit (http://standards.esd.org.uk/) as the source of the conceptual model and some terminology for Terms for Councils.
Navigating the Terms for Councils site
- Clicking on any function term provides a definition of that term, alternate terms, administration information, and a list of associated activity terms on the right hand side.
- Clicking on any activity term provides a definition of that term, alternate terms, administration information, and a list of associated service terms on the right hand side.
- Clicking on any service term provides alternate terms and administration information.
The lists of functions / activities and services and documents that map between functions / activities and services are downloadable as .csv files.
We welcome feedback and suggestions.
Please submit any suggestions using the suggestions form on this page.
Suggestions for alterations and additions will be considered by the Term for Councils moderation group.
User suggestion form